Dr Sarah Domone
English Institute of SPort (EIS)
Dr Sarah Domone is the Lead Consultant for the English Institute of Sport (EIS) Sport Intelligence Team whose mission is to support Olympic and Paralympic sports in their use of performance data to maintain their world leading edge. A Sports Engineering graduate from the University of Bath, Sarah went on to complete a PhD in Biomechanics with the Centre for Sports Engineering Research at Sheffield Hallam University before working in the physical activity sector as the Data and Insight Manager at ukactive.
John Blenkharn joined the Sport Intelligence team at UK Sport as Programme Manager following the Rio Games in 2016. John is currently leading on a data knowledge building strategy across Olympic and Paralympic sports which seeks to equip performance staff with the tools and skills required to enhance an understanding of how data can inform decision-making. Prior to joining UK Sport, John worked in project management roles for Marks and Spencer, the United Nations Environment Programme and BAE System. Outside of work, John plays for the Warrington Wolves Physical Disability Rugby League team.
What you’ll learn
- How the UK Sport Intelligence Programme was developed and what its current functions are?
- What key challenges the programme faces with a data team working across so many different sports and teams?
- How UK Sport nurtures a data driven culture?
- Some examples of success with the programme?
- How the delay in the Olympics has impacted their work?
- John’s favourite sporting moment – Carlisle United goalkeeper scores a last minute goal to save them from relegation
- Sarah’s favourite sporting moment – Andy Murray winning Wimbeldon for the first time