Melanie Strong is the Managing Partner at NEXT VENTŪRES, a new venture capital firm designed to maximize growth opportunities in the exploding sports, fitness, nutrition and wellness markets. Mel has spent most of her life in the sports industry and believes that access to a healthy and active lifestyle can transform culture.
She spent over 17 years at Nike, leading international marketing teams across running, women’s, soccer and training. She worked on all of Nike’s digital sports and tracking products and was most recently Vice President and General Manager for their skateboarding business. She continues to serve as an advisor to Nike’s accelerator, Valiant Labs, sits on the board of performance brand PowerDot, and is an advisor for photography app VSCO.
What you’ll learn
- How the investment space has changed for the sports, fitness, nutrition and wellness markets since the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Why these markets continue to blend and merge.
- Key growth advice for Founders of their portfolio companies, especially during a global pandemic and economic downturn
- How constantly challenging biases and assumptions by bringing a fresh perspective to the world of VC can lead to better investment outcomes.
- Jonathan Thurston lowering heart rate before penalty kick (NRL)
- Mel’s favourite sporting moment – Philadelphia Eagles win Super Bowl LII (NFL)