Manager of Former PLayer Engagement
Los Angeles Rams
Jarrod currently works as the Manager of Former Player Engagement with the Los Angeles Rams. In this role, he works to integrate former players as brand ambassadors into the overall marketing, sponsorship, and fan engagement strategy of the organization. Additionally, investing in the holistic development of former players through professional development and well-being initiatives.
A native of Columbus, Ohio, Jarrod Barnes has always looked to defy the odds. During his collegiate athletic career at The Ohio State University, Jarrod became the first student-athlete in the history of The Big Ten Conference to pursue a Ph.D. while on an active roster. Following his playing career, he joined the Ohio State Football coaching staff as an Intern Defensive Back’s Coach and would eventually transition into athletics administration at Clemson University, as the Assistant Director of Student-Athlete Development. Following his time at Clemson, Jarrod launched Prime U, a leadership development platform designed for athletes, coaches, and professionals in the workplace to develop more self-aware, effective, purposeful leaders.
Jarrod is the Co-Founder of The Lab Community, an online community for sports professionals. Jarrod is also a mentor for sports technology startups through the leAD Sports Accelerator and on the Board of Directors for the Sports Business and Leadership Association, a non-profit organization that specializes in providing access to sports business careers for underserved populations .
What you’ll learn
- What’s the definition of Athlete Marketing and Branding?
- What is “Name, Image, and Likeness” (NIL) and why does it matter?
- What has changed recently and continues to evolve in athlete marketing across the cultural and legal landscape?
- What role technology / digital platforms have to play in how athletes, teams and brands can connect more directly with their audience and monetize this connection?
- What Jarrod’s hopes are for the future in this space?
- Athlete Marketing Emerging Trends Report — August 2020
- The Lab Community
- Jarrod’s favourite sporting moment – #3 Michigan vs #2 Ohio State – Double OT (2016)