Dr Julian Tan
Head of Digital Business Initiatives & Esports
Julian is the Head of Digital Business Initiatives & Esports at Formula 1 where he leads digital strategy, transformation & growth, with the aim of redefining how fans engage with the sport through digital and esports.
Prior to this, Julian was a Senior Consultant at global management consulting firm, The Boston Consulting Group. Here he helped some of the world’s largest and most important organizations spearhead their commercial strategies and digital transformations. Julian holds first-class bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mechanical engineering from the University of Oxford and a PhD in the micromechanics of carbon fibre laminates from the University of Cambridge.
What you’ll learn
- Differences between virtual races and esports competitions.
- How virtual races were used by Formula 1 to continue to provide value for fans and sponsors during the pandemic shutdown of regular live racing.
- How esports activations online and at live races are used to bring fans closer to one of the world’s most inaccessible sports.
- What other sports can learn from Formula 1 in their investment into esports.
- Formula 1 – Virtual Grand Prix
- Julian’s favourite sporting moment – John Isner’s epic Wimbledon 2010 match vs. Nicolas Mahut